Sunday, July 21, 2013

Traveling alone

I just realized that I really like traveling alone. One can always ask, what kind of travel?
When it comes to travelling alone it is always those low profile, low on adventure kind of travel that I like. I would prefer the other kind of travel only if I had some good company. Now that I have moved to Chennai, travel has almost become a non-existent phenomena and even a sudden trip to my native seems exotic.

These days life seems so busy that there is hardly any time to plan a trip, one that involves travel and I don't see things improving any time in the near future. But when I was in Bangalore I used to travel by myself almost every other weekend to Chennai. I did make some good friends in the railway station- other lonely travelers such as myself and they did provide me awesome company, but mostly I did travel alone.

My reading habit was also in a pretty good place back then since I had ample time during travel and I happened to read a lot of books during this period, especially the ones that I had always wanted to read.

I took the night trains mostly since it saved time and meant I could spend more time at home. But travelling by the Shatabdi Express from Bangalore to Chennai and vice versa, now and then was real fun. Though it seems like a tourist train and the route doesn't offer much in terms of sightseeing, they were always very relaxing, soothing journeys. Aboard the train, apart from looking out, I read a lot, had a lot of time to key in some article or the other, made calls to friends and family. I was never bored and the occasional, tender Sun ray which fell on my book (the thought of it gives me an Utopian glimmer even now) made me relax even more.

A whole trip all by myself? Hmmm, I guess not. To be honest I am scared to take a whole trip by myself in this blessed country of ours, thanks to the safety standards for girls. It scares me, and I believe rightly so. So as of now, I will simply stick to saying that I like travelling alone and in that, a one way journey here and there. I wish I travelled more now- more meaningful travels which involve visiting some new place or the other. I believe travel is one of the pure joys of life and a luxury in itself; and one that should not be found wanting in one's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two TED talks I liked

I recently came across the following two TED talks, both of which I liked. In the first one, the Speaker talks about why it is important t...