Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ciao

Just figured the Italian word "Ciao" is the perfect synonym for the Tamil word "Vanakkam" (வணக்கம்). I have always wondered how I would explain the word 'Vanakkam' if someone were to ask me for its meaning.

Can I say it is a greeting, stands for 'Hi' or 'Hello'. But then, how would I explain those news reporters sign off saying "Nandri, Vanakkam!" (நன்றி, வணக்கம்!), meaning "Thank you, Bye!"; obviously, in this context the word takes the meaning "bye".

Unlike 'ciao', 'vanakkam' is formal though. Until now I was using 'ciao' thinking it only stood for "bye". Now, whoever said ignorance is bliss?!

Until my next post, ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Two TED talks I liked

I recently came across the following two TED talks, both of which I liked. In the first one, the Speaker talks about why it is important t...